Saturday, September 15, 2007

PIECE OF PIE ANYONE?

How I turned a piece of pie until a hotel room

Enough already. Each time I called, the lovely Rose Inn I was assured that no reservation was required and that they had a room for me... And of course…they had no room for me. There was even a line at the door. Across the street was a $300/night Mariott and a “We’ll leave the light on for ya” Motel 6.

I figured I had the best chance at the place with the light on…not to mention $300 being out of the question. But no, they were sold out. "We’re full, but you can call after six to see if someone didn’t arrive for their reservation” said Susie Rez my Client Service Rep. I looked at her and then at the wall clock behind her.

"It’s ten to six right?"
“Oh” said Susie.
“So can I call at 6:05?”
“Give me until 6:15”

Just as I was about to leave it occurred to me that I didn’t know how many reservations were unfilled. “How many chances do I have?” The manager, smiling lovely girl of approximately 400 lbs said:

“depends on what kind of mood I’m in!”
“What if I brought you a piece of “pi-ahe” from Margies?” I drawled

Don’t know why I had the impulse to say pie with a southern accent. It did work however because the cheerful manager grinned and said “now we’re talking”. She made no promises though, so I went off to dinner at Margie’s.

I set my watch next to my salad and at 6:15 I gave the ladies at Motel 6 a call.

“Pie delivery, Margie’s Diner calling!” I announced. That got nothing.
“It’s Pam, did I get my room please?” then she started laughing at my joke and then (whew) said she did have a room for me.

“What kind of pie would you like?”
“Banana Crème” she said without hesitation.
“Uh, they only have apple, cherry or peach, just the fruits basically”.
“Oh I was just pulling your leg, since you were pulling mine”. We laughed.
“Seriously, I’m bringing Apple, okay?” So it was settled.

Ten minutes later I was there checking in (no sense giving anyone a chance to bring in, say, a pie a la mode!) During the check-in three groups came in to see if there was a room. No dice.

I slunk quietly to my room. Not pushing my luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can say that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the fall efflux of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=php pro bid 6.03 ?
I noticed the axiom you have in the offing not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg